Save workbook with a new name

Jan 19, 2010 at 3:03 PM

How can I save the workbook with a new name instead of overwriting my template? Do I need to copy the file first or what?

Coordinator
Jan 19, 2010 at 3:37 PM

Yes, ExtremeML (currently) always writes back to the package that it originally openend. So, to save the template file under a new name, it must be copied before opening it with ExtremeML.

Jan 19, 2010 at 3:48 PM

Thanks for the fast reply!

Jan 19, 2010 at 6:22 PM
Edited Jan 19, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Tim, is a CreateFromTemplate() function or overloaded Create() on the radar?

using (var package = SpreadsheetDocumentWrapper.CreateFromTemplate("\mypath\MyWorkbook.xlsx", "\templatepath\MyWorkbookTemplate.xlsx"))

or

using  (var package = SpreadsheetDocumentWrapper.Create("\mypath\MyWorkbook.xlsx", "\templatepath\MyWorkbookTemplate.xlsx"))

Coordinator
Jan 19, 2010 at 6:38 PM

Yes it is.

In fact, I have plans to introduce a range of overloads for Create(), including support for saving the resulting package to a stream. From the feedback I have received, this particular feature is much-needed by the folks who intend to use ExtremeML on a web server to dynamically create Excel content that will be directly downloaded by a client.

Of course, all of these feature additions take time, so I can't promise exactly when it might be implemented.

Nonethless, rest assured that this (and other) user requests have been noted and will be added as soon as time permits.

Jan 19, 2010 at 6:50 PM

Ok, thank you very much.

I have just started exploring ExtremeML and am very impressed. Thank you for the work already completed.

Jan 19, 2010 at 6:56 PM

I think both these features would be a huge improvement! 

I've just started using it today and just looking at Open XML SDK and ExtremeML you can see how much simpler ExtremeML is. Just what I needed!

Coordinator
Jan 19, 2010 at 7:07 PM

Thanks to both of you for your support and encouragement.

There is certainly some further debugging to complete (and I welcome your continued feedback if you discover bugs) but I am pleased that this project is proving to be useful and I am here if you need help.